Tuesday 17 June 2014

Baja Cantina











So a few weeks ago we decided to make the trip to Baja Cantina for some mexican food.  Set up in what is slowly becoming a food haven, Ballyhackamore, Baja serves what it describes as 'Sonoran and Baja style Mexican'.

The inside is traditional cantina style with sparse furniture, but loads of cool knick-knacks and decorations to look at. I will say that it probably wouldn't be great for a meal with a large number of people but for the four of us, it was fine. As well as selling tacos, burritos, burrito bowls and quesadillas there are a range of specials and sides and you can also purchase your own condiments and ingredients to attempt some recipes at home!

I had heard from a few people that the place often suffers the queue-out-the-door problem so we opted to visit on a Saturday morning which proved a good choice as there was only our group and two other tables. We chose the nachos and guacamole to start and chimichangas and chicken quesadillas with chilli cheese fries on the side. The food was great, and came in huge portions (in retrospect the sides were probably a mistake due to the sheer size of the mains!) - for the more adventurous of you, there's an 'atomic' salsa which will blow your head off. I had been looking forward to tasting a tamale, but they need to be pre-ordered which I didn't know beforehand. I would say that if you're on a diet, don't put a foot inside, because you won't be able to resist the temptation!

All in all, i'd recommend this place for a good weekend/evening meal, the portions are enough to fill you for a week and the prices are only slightly higher than the main mexican restaurant in town, Boojum. The food is fresh, tasty and good value and if you live in the area, they now do delivery. Long may it continue!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Best quesadilla 5evr. I returned the week after for a chimi, and it was unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! But I'm Pretty sure they're not open on Sundays. Might want to to double check that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad! It appears i'm getting confused in my aul age. My friends have just corrected me - we went on a Saturday morning! Thanks (:

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Seriously, I haven't been able to find her since it closed! Chimi cravings over here!
      I have heard rumours of St. George's - these remain unconfirmed.

      Delete

© A Great Perhaps | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig